Ayurveda for Massage Therapists 101 Online Course
Investment: $182.00. Start anytime. Go at your own pace. Purely online.
Receive an automated email with login credentials and instructions within 1 day upon purchasing this course. Anyone may enroll. No prerequisites. This course is ideal for massage therapists, estheticians, Reiki masters, yoga therapists and other healers.
Earn 50 CE credits. Most students complete this course over a span of 11 hours, despite the 50 CEs assigned to this course. Approved in most states, including NY & Florida. To discover your state regulations regarding massage therapy and continuing education (CBTMB) requirements. NCBTMB (Provider #155301-00). Instructor: Karyn Chabot, M.Ay, LMT, RYT See below:
There are many forms of Ayurvedic bodywork, all rooted in the ancient Tibetan and Indian rejuvenation and purification modality called ‘Pancha Karma’. This course covers the various components of Pancha Karma in broad strokes. There are numerous methods, concepts and forms of ayurvedic massage and bodywork. No one really knows what the original method were thousands of years ago, hence, no one can claim their method is “authentic”. After years and years of searching for one method that resonated with me, I decided there is no “holy grail” of Ayurvedic Bodywork, but instead a plethora of many possibilities. In lieu of that, to make this course as robust and powerful as possible, I have combined what I learned from Dr. Vasant Lad, Dr. Maribali Naina, Robert Sachs, Dr. Mishra, Kripalu and Dr. John Doulliard.
This course will teach massage therapists how to integrate aspects of Ayurveda into their massage practice. Students will learn step-by-step practical Ayurvedic techniques, moves, theories, concepts, philosophies, energy medicine and applications of sacred substances on the dermis. This information can easily integrate into western massage therapies. Learning and practicing this time-proven wisdom may open the doorway of consciousness for students, reactivating what they may already know as true in the healing arts.
Ayurveda is considered one of the top 3 medical systems in the world, according to the World Health Organization. Ayurvedic massage is becoming a standard on some of the most elite spa menus and is taught in some of the most progressive massage schools across the country. Over one quarter of the questions on the MBLEX national exam are on based eastern and ayurvedic principles. It is now becoming mandatory to know about the science of Ayurveda in order to be a nationally certified massage therapist.
Graduation from this home-study course with a grade of 75% or higher through the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork signifies that you have professional training in Ayurvedic Bodywork.
- History of Ayurveda and pancha karma
- Discover the 5 great elements, the gunas and the doshas
- Ayurvedic self-massage
- Seven sacred tissues in the body
- Benefits of oil massage and all Ayurvedic bodywork
- Precautionary measures
- What oils are best for who and when
- How to detox the entire body with lemon and salt on the feet
- Learn the direction of terminal clearance
- Overview of karna purna therapy (oil application in the ears)
- Overview of nasya therapy (oil application in nose)
- Overview of shirodhara therapy (oil/substances flowing over the head)
- Overview of garshana therapy (raw silk glove friction modality)
- Overview of swedhana therapy (steam tent thermo-hydrotherapy)
- Overview of abhyana therapy (warm oil massage)
- Overview of Shila abhyanga (hot stone massage)
- Learn the massage moves taught at the Ayurvedic Institute in NM
- Discover the marma points on the body
- Learn about mudras and chakras
- Ayurvedic nutrition and a purification recipe called kitchadi
- Discover the 5 koshas (energy bodies)
- Online enrollment
- Access to the student dashboard with explicit, helpful step-by-step instructions
- One PDF (digital) training manual approximately 130 illustrated pages (print or read online)
- Tandem Abhyanga Massage Therapy eDVD
- Sacred Stone Therapy: Concepts & Theory eDVD
- Sacred Stone Therapy Classroom Demonstration eDVD
- Shirodhara Therapy DVD
- Swedhana-Garshana-Detox-Ayurvedic Treatment eDVD
- Links and instructions on where to find oils, products and Ayurveda resource page
- Sample Client Profile
- Overview of the foundations of Ayurveda
- Online course forms
- Multiple-choice open-book exam with 53 questions
- Transcripts are automatically enabled for printing with a passing score
- Certification upon meeting the practicum material listed below
- This course allows students to download the eDVD(s) and PDF manual(s) to their computer, for viewing at any time and as often as they wish. Once you download your course materials, they are yours forever.
- We provide two ways to watch our mp4 E-DVDs:
- On our website using our FV Flow Player. No download needed
- Offline downloaded from our website to your computer
Steps to Complete the Course:
- View the e-DVDs and read the PDF Manual
- Purchase Dr. John Doulliard’s book at this link: Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Massage. It costs approximately $7 used printed or $19 for the kindle edition.
- Submit Five Student Practicum Forms.
- Complete Five Critical Essays for each of your five practicum sessions describing your favorite and least favorite parts of this therapy and how you executed it.
- Complete The Student Essay Course Form.
- Complete The Client Testimony & Evaluation Form.
- To earn “Certification” status, attend a “live” on-campus one-day practicum exam with a certified ABS instructor.
OR: Submit a youtube video link of your best “practice 75-minute session” from start to finish.
- tudents have 1 year to complete, self-paced. We always allow extensions for extenuating circumstances.
- Everyone learns at a different rate, but most students complete this course within three months while working a full-time job.
- Practicum submissions will be graded as “Pass” or “Fail”.
- Multiple-choice exam requires 75% passing grade. Take the exam as many times as needed for a passing score, no worries.
- All e-DVDs and webinars can be downloaded and viewed as often as needed.
- A “Document of Completion” will be awarded to all students who submit a Course Evaluation Form and meet the outlined criteria with passing scores, however, “certification” will only be awarded to e-Course students who either pass the in-person practicum exam in Newport, RI or with another Sacred Stone ABS certified instructor or submit a youtube practicum video.
- There is no equipment mandatory to take this course since it is designed as an OVERVIEW of all the modalities ayurveda offers.
- If you plan on practicing shirohdara or swedhana (steam tent) therapy, you will need some equipment. If you plan to just practice the abhyanga therapy, all you will need is some oil and massage table.
This Home-Study Course is available as a PDF digital download. Our digital products allow you access to our online student learning center, where you will access your course materials, including your streaming DVDs, forms, manuals, and course exam. Click HERE to see a list of the required software to take our digital courses.
dits, you can choose the "no credit" version at a reduced rate! Simply select this version from the "Choose Format" pull-down menu before adding the product to your shopping cart.
For the DIGITAL Online Course:
Once your order is processed and the manufacturer receives it, you will be sent an email with a user-name, password and directions for accessing our online "Student Central" website.
***This is not instantaneous. (It will take 1-2 business days)
At the site, you can take the multiple choice open-book exam online with instant results, submit your essays, watch the streaming videos (as often as you want), download and upload your enrollee, practicum and evaluation forms, print your transcripts and receive your certificates. Easy. There is nothing you need to snail-mail. All our courses are now totally electronic (online) so we can save the trees, gas, postage and lighten our "footprint". It's very easy to navigate, even for technophobes!
For The HARD COPY Course:
We will send you the hard copy of the 200 page illustrated Sacred Stone Ayurveda for Massage Therapists 101 Manual and the three DVDs in the mail. All homestudy students are asked to the exam online.(Reason for e-mail address) Those who don't want to take the exam online can request a special hard copy version of the exam and course paper work be sent in the US mail for a $25 processing fee.
The Hard Copy course ships with the following Sacred Stone Products: Tandem Abhyanga Massage Therapy DVD, Sacred Stone Therapy: Concepts & Theory DVD, Swedhana-Garshana-Detox-Ayurvedic Treatment DVD (streaming only), and a Shirodhara Therapy DVD. (Digital products receive QuickTime® versions of the same titles for web viewing)
- Easy Guide to complete the course.
- Enrollee form.
- Three Instructional DVD's & 1 streaming DVD (approximately 1 hour each).
- Open book examination (200 questions) and answer sheet. (75% or higher to pass)
- Course evaluation form.
- Five practicum forms.
- Transcript and certificate.
- A location to submit the answers to your essay questions.
- Unlimited tutorial assistance via email or phone.
- Students have one year to complete this course, but most students can do this in one month or less if they focus on it. We always allow extensions for extenuating circumstances.
- Two paragraphs on how you can improve as a therapist and what steps to take towards it.
- Two paragraphs on how this knowledge will help your practice.
- Two paragraph summary of your favorite parts of this course and why.
- 5 practice sessions signed by your clients on the practicum forms we send you. Five practicum are required using any or all modalities in the manual.
- Passing grade on the multiple choice exam.
What is Ayurveda?
It is the science of long life; of daily living; of digestion. Ayur: “life” Veda: “knowledge”. Based on Samkhaya’s philosophy, Ayurveda is ancient mystical, biological, spiritual, medical sciences that can help individuals make wise, conscious choices about daily living and staying healthy. It is a comprehensive medical system that includes, yoga, diet, bodywork, psychology, surgery, herbs, gynecology, pediatrics, astrology and much more. The sacred knowledge of Ayurveda has been handed down from the guru (teacher) to the student for thousands of years.
Being in the physical presence of an Ayurvedic Master is very important and an integral part of the Ayurvedic tradition. Reading about Ayurveda is one way of exposing yourself to the science, but the highest, most powerful platform for learning will effortlessly unfold in the presence of a qualified Ayurvedic Doctor or Vaidya. This knowledge has been passed down from generation to generation in India. It is part of the tradition. Written knowledge, as opposed verbal knowledge or knowledge transmitted through consciousness is not the authentic, pure way of sharing this sacred information to the world, but it is a good start.
Take this course with that in mind. Reading the material in the manual will stimulate you, introduce you to this sacred science and hopefully inspire you to find a Master to further your studies. Ayurveda is the science of life and is imprinted within our very DNA and in our askashic records. This course will serve as a portal to bring this information into your consciousness. The diploma you receive by passing this home-study course with a grade of 75% or higher through the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork signifies that you have your diploma Ayurvedic Bodywork. To qualify as a certified Ayurvedic practitioner, you must follow the protocols of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association.
- Implement the many modalities that Ayurveda uses to maintain health and homeostasis within the body, mind and soul.
- Identify the three doshas (biological principles).
- Use breathing techniques to balance the body, mind and soul.
- Identify the five great elements as they relate to the three biological principles (doshas).
- Determine a client’s Ayurvedic imbalance (vikruti & prakruti) and know what type of bodywork to apply to restore health.
- Learn about the five directional flows (vayus) within the body.
- Recognize the principle of Terminal Clearance within the body.
- Describe the appropriate diet and lifestyle for your client’s doshic imbalance.
- Explain eight types of Ayurvedic massage.
- Define the ancient art of Marma Therapy.
- Use appropriate oils on clients and explain the benefits of oil massage (abhyanga).
- Understand the chakra system.
- Recommend Ayurvedic protocols for clients.
- Recognize imbalances in the Five Great Elements that exist within their clients.
- Learn step by step ayurvedic techniques to incorporate into your massage practice.
How will learning the ancient science of Ayurveda help my clients in this modern day and age? Ayurveda will give you the insight and tools to understand your unique constitution and how and why you function. Knowing yourself is one of the paths toward radiant health, bliss and liberation from the illusion of this physical world. Ayurveda will help you heal yourself. Only until you heal yourself can you heal others. Therapy is only as good as the therapist. Ayurveda will teach you how to recognize certain qualities within you and your clients. These qualities will determine how you speak and relate with them and how to help them heal themselves. Even the smallest Ayurvedic suggestions will help. You will be empowered with knowledge such that you will be able to suggest specific lifestyle and nutritional advice. You will recognize which of the five great elements are out of balance and use practical protocols on your massage table to assist them in the recovery process.
The manual has many detailed pictures and is very easy to understand. Karyn makes Ayurveda very practical and comprehensive, without overwhelming students with too much Sanskrit terminology.
Here are some examples of test questions:
18. What best defines Vata?
a. What sticks
b. What blows
c. What lives
19. Which dosha is defined as “What sticks”?
20. Which of the following is not a method to determine your Ayurvedic constitution and imbalance?
b. Client questionnaire
c. Measuring the DNA
21. Which dosha consists of fire and water?